Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday Anime: A Quick word about a Weird Show.

So it's my weekend to work, and that means not much time for writing.  But, I did watch some Anime today, so here we go!

If there is one thing I really love, it's Weird Anime.  The odder the plot, characters, jokes, etc; the more fun I tend to have with it.  One such show that is just overflowing with insanity is Excel Saga.  I'll likely tackle this series in more detail another time, but suffice it to say, it's completely irreverent and crap-house crazy, and I laugh my ass off every time I see it.  The director of Excel Saga Watanabe Shinichi (Nabeshin for short and Giggles) had a running inside joke going with fans of his in Japan about the most ludicrous character ever to appear in a "Magical Girl" show, and after a few years, he decided the perfect punchline for such a joke was to actually produce a show based on her.  Like Excel, Nabeshin appears in the show as a key character, and also like Excel, it's hilariously insane.

It's Puni Puni Poemy.



Now, when Nick put me onto Excel way back in the day, it was a hard sell at first.  He explained some of the plot (mostly how the Great Will of the Microcosm keeps having to resurrect Excel because she repeatedly gets herself killed in the first episode, and the show would not exist without her) and I checked out a few of the early episodes.  After a second watch or so, I was hooked on the insane pacing and wacky sense of humor.  So when Nick told me about a spin off of Excel that was even crazier than the original, I was all in.

And crazier, it was!  The very first thing we see is Poemy, a pink haired magical girl spaz, fighting off a team of other magical girls that look a lot like Sailor Scouts to me, culminating with Poemy putting the last of them into a technically perfect Sharpshooter that Bret "Hitman" Hart would be proud of and Breaking Her Back.  That was all I needed to see to realize I was going to love this show.  And it just gets better (read: Crazier) from there.  From the pants-less alien with a spiked ball hanging from a string where his genitals should be who speaks in jibberish, to Poemy stabbing herself in the legs with pens in an attempt to stay awake, to the character who is a professional Dominatrix punishing her sisters for making her angry.  This show is just Bat-Shit insane, and I love every moment.  One of the best scenes comes when the Sisters discuss whether Poemy can live with them, and they talk so fast it is impossible to follow, and after they discuss existential philosophy for about 3 seconds, the house explodes.  Just insane.

Anyway, here's some sample pics, just to demonstrate how all-over-the-place this thing is.







See?
Anyway, I think I'll post some Poemy AMV's this time, enjoy!

I wanted to hate this because of the song, but it was actually pretty funny.



This one is Poemy and Excel, but it's too good to pass up!


This one includes FLCL (The ONLY show I can think of that's crazier than PPP) as well.


One more Excel.  It's my blog, I do what I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment